Sunday, May 31, 2009

grandma Jeanette

This past 2 weeks has been very emotional for me..first I learned a favorite cousin past away while we were on vacation....then grandkids graduating from 8th grade and high school...Time moving much too fast.

A memory of a high school graduation past came as I watch grandson #2 ( #1 graduates next Sunday)...walk across the stage and accept the diploma cover..you all remember no diploma inside...as his under class friends hooted out and he signed "love you"...my mother-in-law came to mind. She would have been so proud of all her great-grandkids..She only managed one grandchild graduation before cancer took her..

This woman stepped in when my mother died suddenly..I was only 24 and had 3 babies...she was my rock when it came to..well everything...
Her name was Jeanette and she was a fairy-tale grandmother..she made sock puppets, played games with my boys, let them help her with things...whether they wanted to or not...read to them and above all let them be themselves...

When she was very sick and in pain she sat at the stadium watching her oldest grandchild accept his diploma cover...she died a year later...That grandson wrote the following in his Phd thesis acknowledgments...
"My decision to begin a career in science was prompted by two people who I can only thank on these pages. My late grandmother Jeanette Julian first encouraged me to pursue a science degree, as 'the only thing that makes any sense.' She would have expected nothing less that my finishing this degree......." Miss you Jeanette....

No comments:

Post a Comment